jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Codename
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:44:32 GMT
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Ard Schrijvers
> <a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My personal favorite so far is "Jonsai" (as in Java + Bonsai) that
>>> Michael D. suggested in a lunch conversation last week.
>>
>> Bonsai might give a perception of small, and not 'BigTree' kind at all
>
> Right, that's why I was trying to come up with something starting from
> the "big tree" idea. The mentioned "BigTree" is IMHO too clunky and
> way too close to the already existing "Bigtop" project [1]. The idea
> Justin was leading with Sequioa (Redwood), Cypress or something
> similar seems promising, but most of such names are already used in
> the software domain. A slightly mangled name like in "Jonsai" might
> work here.
>
> One possible alternative is the "Oak" name I've been using in a
> somewhat related effort within Apache Labs [2]. That effort never went

I personally like oak a lot. In general I am, but that is of course
just taste, not too charmed with:

1) portmanteau's like jonsai
2) with very complex to write and remember names like Leporidae (sry Nour)

Oak is catchy, I like oaks, everybody knows what they are, easy to
remember and pronounce, and, for what it's worth, the JIRA key can be
the same as the project name :)

+1 for oak

Regards Ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com