jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 optional features]
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:59:12 GMT
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>>The path isn't stored in Lucene even for Jackrabbit 2, only the node id.
>>
>>No, but the hierarchical relations *are* evaluated through Lucene in
>>Jackrabbit 2
>
> I don't fully know how the current index mechanism works so I can't
> comment here.
>
>>I don't think you can write evaluate these queries more efficient
>>without Lucene (Slide used to do this back in the days). But at the
>>same time, they are too complex to map to an inversed index.
>
> So what your are saying is that no matter if you use Lucene or not it's
> not possible? I don't agree.

I very much hope you are right :)

> The plan is to let users define indexes manually, and the query engine
> (built by us) decides which index(es) to use; possibly we will add a
> mechanism to let the user decide which indexes to use (hints). Just like
> in databases. This will shift some of the burden to the user who is
> supposed to define the right indexes. We will need quite a bit of
> documentation how to do this. Even without the (right) indexes it will
> work, just much slower.
>
>>Either way, I am of course fine with any attempt, but I am just afraid
>>that it will take lots of efforts to build, and in the end doesn't
>>scale well enough (at least not to the targets that jr3 aims for).
>
> I'm sure it will work quite well. It will be some effort, but compared to
> query processing in SQL databases it's a lot simpler. I expect it to work
> reasonably well at the end of this year.

It much be just my horse's view: I can't get my head around the
problems involved in hierarchical queries combining free text (and
even authorization). OTOH, you are obviously much better up2date with
all the ideas, and must have thought it through all very well. I'll
try to keep up with your work/ideas.

Regards Ard and thanks again very much for all your feedback