jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 optional features]
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:36:36 GMT
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>What about combining free text searches with other constraints? I
>>don't see how you can ever in a performing way overlay (let alone
>>score) the results from a Lucene fulltext index with for example the
>>results from 'database indexes'.
>
> I don't currently think this as a big problem, but let's see. Maybe we
> will find Lucene isn't needed at all (but I doubt that).
>
> What is certain is that we want a more flexible way to configure indexes,
> and not use just one index.
>
>>  Also, it seems impossible to me to
>>combine hierarchical constraints with fulltext searching if the
>>hierarchy is not part of the Lucene index. For example:
>>
>>/jcr:root/content[@jcr:contains(....)]/documents[@jcr:contains(...)]/news/
>>2001
>
> The path isn't stored in Lucene even for Jackrabbit 2, only the node id.

No, but the hierarchical relations *are* evaluated through Lucene in
Jackrabbit 2

> So I don't see this as a new problem.

I agree it is not a new problem, because I think it is an old problem
: There is no way to scale these kind of queries. I have seen too many
attempts in the past by different parties that try to build systems
with many users and large data, and expect hierarchical queries (with
or without path constraints) to 'just work and perform'.

I don't think you can write evaluate these queries more efficient
without Lucene (Slide used to do this back in the days). But at the
same time, they are too complex to map to an inversed index.

Either way, I am of course fine with any attempt, but I am just afraid
that it will take lots of efforts to build, and in the end doesn't
scale well enough (at least not to the targets that jr3 aims for).

Regards ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com