jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 trade consistency for availability]
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:05:17 GMT
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Alexander Klimetschek
<aklimets@adobe.com> wrote:
> Am 23.02.2012 um 11:26 schrieb Ard Schrijvers:
>> I've come to believe over the years, that a generic
>> hierarchical jcr full text index and queries is a bad idea : In the
>> end, it just doesn't scale, is extremely complex to build (Lucene is
>> flat), and even worse, it doesn't seem to satisfy customers/developers
>> in the end: They want to index and search *their* specific model they
>> store in jackrabbit. You can tweak a bit with indexing_configuration
>> kind of things, but in the end, I think a (Lucene) index is just to
>> domain specific
>
> Huge +1.
>
> Allowing to create & define separate search indexes based on some rules (subpath,
all cq:Page nodes, similar to indexing_config) would be a really helpful improvement.

> One of the main CMS search uses cases is to have different full text search indexes for
different sites, say /site1 and /site2. Currently you have to include a location step "/jcr:root/site1//*[jcr:contains(.
'foo')]" which is not indexed due to the optimization for moves, making this much slower than
necessary. Separate indexes for site1 + site2 would solve this easily.

For this reason we chose to index the location of documents as well:
We have fast (simple!) path constraint searches now, and as a price,
expensive moves as this needs iterating through the entire tree to
re-index the location. However, I prefer fast path constraints
searches over fast moves: moves normally happen much less

> Also, we loose a lot of Lucene's features by hiding them under the search implementation
tied to the JCR query specifications. Opening this up would make improvements and/or extensions
for search index configurations much easier.

I'll try to summarize a brain dump (I hope I can keep it to the point
:-) on a upcoming jr3 queries mail topic

Regards Ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com