jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [jr3 trade consistency for availability]
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:52:58 GMT
Hi,

> On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
>
> > I'd solve this differently. Saves are always performed on one
> > partition,
> > even if some of the change set actually goes beyond a given partition.
> > this is however assuming that our implementation supports dynamic
> > partitioning and redistribution (e.g. when a new cluster node is added
> > to the federation). in this case the excessive part of the change set
> > would eventually be migrated to the correct cluster node.
>
> I'd like to better understand your approach: if we have, say,
> Partitions P  and Q, containing subtrees /p and /q, respectively, then
> a save that spans elements in both /p and /q might be saved in P
> first, and later migrated to Q? What happens if this later migration
> leads to a conflict?

I guess this would be the result of a concurrent save when there's
an additional conflicting save under /q at the same time. good
question... CouchDB solves this with a deterministic algorithm
that simply picks one revision as the latest one and flags the conflict.
maybe we could use something similar?

regards
 marcel