jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Tree model
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:02:02 GMT
Hi,

Am 29.02.2012 um 08:55 schrieb Thomas Mueller:

> Hi,
>
> I think we all have more or less the same basic idea. Well, I would call
> it "Node" and not "Tree" because the term node more closely matches what
> we do. But first about what we seem to agree:
>
> * A persistent and immutable data structure has many benefits
>  (for example concurrency).
>
> * Mutable data strucutures also have benefits:
>  it avoids creating lots of garbage and a new root node
>  for each and every modification.

I don't really care for garbage: In fact Java is even better at allocating and cleaning up
short-lived small objects than C is.

While I cannot comment on other details, I have one to this:

> * Stefan believes concurrent write operations are very important while I
> believe this will not increase write throughput as much as it complicates
> the implementation (Stefan implementations merges changes while my
> implementation does not).

As a user of the JCR API I really do care about concurrent writes. And whatever is done on
the MK level or any level between my JCR application and persistence doesn't really matter
as long as concurrent writes are a lot more performing that today, where each write blocks
any other repository use....

Regards
Felix