jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Release roadmap
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:03:02 GMT
Hi,

Am 23.02.2012 um 15:15 schrieb Jukka Zitting:

> This is a pretty tight schedule mostly to bring up a sense of focus
> that we currently seem to be lacking. The proposed schedule should be
> reachable with a few persons working full time on this, which I think
> (and hope) we should be able to arrange. And it's more of a guideline
> than a fixed plan, we can proceed faster on some issues if possible or
> postpone others where needed. We may even decide to drop some items
> entirely or introduce new items to the plan.

Makes sense.

As for extensibility and pluggability...

> * 0.2 - April 2012
>  * Extension model for plugging in alternative storage backends
>
> * 0.3 - May 2012
>  * OSGi bundle packaging
>
> * 0.4 - June 2012
>  * OSGi/Spring/etc. pluggability of extensions

IMHO extensibilty and pluggability (indexing, access control, user management have been mentioned)
should be built into it right from the start and there should be a single model being used.
And we should not reinvent the wheel.

Taken all together we should probably shoot for OSGi right from the start. We get the rest
"for free":

  - Standalone Java Application and Web App using the Sling Launchpad
  - Testbed for applications and test cases
  - OSGi services being the extension model

Hence I would go with OSGi from Day 0 and use the OSGi Service Registry as the mechanic for
pluggability.

Regards
Felix