jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Pfister <dpfis...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 trade consistency for availability]
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:30:49 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 29, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Marcel Reutegger wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
>>
>>> I'd solve this differently. Saves are always performed on one
>>> partition,
>>> even if some of the change set actually goes beyond a given
>>> partition.
>>> this is however assuming that our implementation supports dynamic
>>> partitioning and redistribution (e.g. when a new cluster node is
>>> added
>>> to the federation). in this case the excessive part of the change
>>> set
>>> would eventually be migrated to the correct cluster node.
>>
>> I'd like to better understand your approach: if we have, say,
>> Partitions P  and Q, containing subtrees /p and /q, respectively,
>> then
>> a save that spans elements in both /p and /q might be saved in P
>> first, and later migrated to Q? What happens if this later migration
>> leads to a conflict?
>
> I guess this would be the result of a concurrent save when there's
> an additional conflicting save under /q at the same time. good
> question... CouchDB solves this with a deterministic algorithm
> that simply picks one revision as the latest one and flags the
> conflict.
> maybe we could use something similar?

So, this could result in a save on P that initially succeeds but
ultimately fails, because the concurrent one on Q wins? I'm wondering
how this could be reflected to an MK client: if a save corresponds to
a MK commit call that immediately returns a new revision ID, would you
suggest that the mentioned algorithm adds a "shadow" commit (leading
to a new head revision ID) on P, that effectively reverts the
conflicting save on P?

Dominique