jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Orderable child nodes: required (to be the default)?
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:43:38 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@adobe.com> wrote:
> so for large childnode lists, a stable but uncontrollable order
> would be ok, although violating the spec?

I wouldn't violate the spec for this. If you have an orderable node
(like nt:unstructured), then the repository should keep track of the
order of child nodes regardless of how many they are. IMHO it's OK for
the repository *not* to scale up or perform well if someone dumps a
million child nodes to an orderable parent.

However, it would be great if we could implement efficient storage for
nodes with lots (i.e. millions) of unorderable children. In such a
case I'd say we can expect the client to explicitly use a parent node
with a custom node type that doesn't require orderability.

I wouldn't even promise a stable iteration order for such cases. The
repository should be free to for example reorder the internal data
structure based on frequent access patterns.

BR,

Jukka Zitting