jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 Microkernel] compiler settings in pom.xml
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:02:26 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 31.1.12 13:31, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> Are there significant parts of Jackrabbit 3 that would be better
>>> expressed in some other programming language than Java, one with which
>>> enough of us (at least everyone working on those parts) are familiar
>>> and comfortable?
>>
>> Like Felix guessed I was primarily thinking of Scala. However there are
>> other options like Clojure and Kotlin. If it weren't for the JVM I'd even
>> say Haskell.
>
> All of these fail to qualify against the criteria of enough of us
> being familiar and comfortable with the language.
>
> The only languages besides Java that I think we could seriously
> consider for selected components are JavaScript (with Rhino), Python
> (with Jython), or possibly C(++) for some lower-level stuff. Even with
> these I suspect we'd turn off about 50% of the committers.

I don't think using C or C++ makes much sense. You'll need a complete
new toolbox with compilers and have to deal with cross platform stuff.

The only thing that could make sense (to me) is using a language that
can run inside the (same) jvm.  For some higher level things scripting
languages could be useful especially when dealing with (user) input
and output.

For the lower level stuff I would prefer to stick to just java. Having
multiple levels in there would only raise the bar for people joining
the project imho.

On a personal note: I don't like scale. But that's just me and I don't
want to start the whole java vs scala debate here. I also don't really
buy into the idea that changing to another language will solve all
your concurrency issues.

Regards,
Bart