jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jr3 Microkernel] compiler settings in pom.xml
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:55:28 GMT

On 31.1.12 16:29, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 31.01.2012 um 17:25 schrieb Michael Dürig:
>

>> On 31.1.12 16:11, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> This is probably and simply not true: It is not the language's fault that developers
are not adhering to fundamental concurrency tenets like for example immutable objects ...
In fact it is a long-standing recommendation to strive for immutable objects.
>> Which includes the whole Java collection framework: mutability around
>> every corner ready to bite...
>
> Well, this framework is built around this --- after all a collection is here to be modified.

There *is* such things as immutable collections. They are known to be
sound under concurrency and much easier to reason about than their
mutable counterparts and they are widely and successfully used in the
functional programming community. As I said in another reply: learning
other languages (and its concepts) can be a real eye opener...

Michael