jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: Boosting newer documents
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:02:03 GMT

On Dec 6, 2011, at 14:12 , Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2011, at 13:58 , Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Christian Stocker
>> <christian.stocker@liip.ch> wrote:
>>> Before we dig more into this: Would this be the correct way? Is this
>>> even possible in Jackrabbit without having to change too much? Or is
>>> there an easier way to give "newer" Documents more weight than
>>> older once?
>>
>> I guess you could achieve the same effect by having a custom indexing
>> configuration file [1] that you modify once per day or per week to
>> increase the boost for specific node types.
>>
>> However, it seems counterintuitive to have to keep increasing the
>> boost either with configuration changes or with a boost function like
>> the one you proposed.
>
> yes .. this needs to be a boost that is determined at query time and not at index time
>
>> As already suggested by Alex, I'd rather use sorting for this. To
>> allow the full text match score to affect the sort order you could use
>> just the year, month or week number as the first sort term and let the
>> matches within that time period be sorted according to the match
>> score.
>
> well sorting by date isnt a good solution at all if you actually also care about the
score. this is basically reducing lucene to an RDBMS LIKE engine.

i guess for now the best solution is to do one query with a date range of say 1-2 weeks and
then doing a second query for the time after that range each sorting by score. since Jackrabbit
currently doesnt leverage Lucene for date range queries, i guess we will then need to use
a string field with the date and do an OR for the exact dates.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org