jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "Jsop" by stefan
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:11:05 GMT
Hi,

>It *is* a sub-delim, but the quoted text above is irrelevant.

I just wanted to show one example of a URI where the semicolon is used.

>it behaves exactly the same as "." or
>",", for example.

Yes, only that a dot is quite common in JCR paths. A comma might be
acceptable, but I personally prefer semicolon. Anyway, if we want to use
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pbryan-zyp-json-pointer-02 as the
specification for a path, then quite many characters would have to be
escaped unfortunately. I guess the escaping would only be required in the
getNodes(..) call, not in the JSOP / JSON Patch / returned JSON.

>You could make it "?hash&index".

That's true. But ";hash;index" is easier in my view (you only need one
character: ";", which you need two characters when using the "?" and "&").

>So essentially you want an extension mechanism on the identifier
>notation.

Yes.

> I don't think this is a good idea.

Too bad. Of course you are free to say you don't think it's a good idea,
but it doesn't help much if you have no alternative solution for the given
problem.

>In JSON Pointer, a pointer identifies a JSON member.

The JSON Pointer specification
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pbryan-zyp-json-pointer-02 actually
already refers to RFC 3986, that means the "/foo;hash" would be OK I guess
(syntactically). But semantically it wouldn't be clear that it refers to
the same entity as "/foo".

Regards,
Thomas