jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 microkernel] Write skew
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:25:36 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
> Currently the microkernel does nothing about this. That's what this whole
> discussion is about after all ;-)

I see this as probably the most significant design decision to be
taken for Jackrabbit 3 since the approach taken will have a major
impact on repository scalability and performance in terms of
concurrent writes. Good that this discussion is happening on the list!

> Eventually consistent approaches are IMO very hard to get right with JCR
> since most operation are assumed to be persisted after dispatch. One
> solution I see is to have changes caused by conflict resolution (i.e. during
> convergence) to appear as normal changes as if they where done by other
> sessions (see [1]). This would however require changing the revision model
> of the microkernel from linear shaped to tree shaped.

This to me sounds like the best approach to take if only there's a way
to solve the problems you mention. The main benefit of an eventually
consistent model is that a save() call can safely return without the
repository having to synchronizes with other cluster nodes or
ultimately even other threads within a single node.

> For the current problem I'd rather have the microkernel to expose some
> test-and-set semantics as Tom describes in [2].

A test-and-set operation necessarily requires at least some level of
atomicity which can quickly become a bottleneck for a clustered setup.

> A third and most general solution which puts away with write skew for good
> is described in [3]. This requires examining the commit log for certain
> read-write conflicts on save.

If I understand the paper correctly, also this approach requires
synchronization to establish the serialization order of transactions.

BR,

Jukka Zitting