jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Boosting newer documents
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:58:38 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Christian Stocker
<christian.stocker@liip.ch> wrote:
> Before we dig more into this: Would this be the correct way? Is this
> even possible in Jackrabbit without having to change too much? Or is
> there an easier way to give "newer" Documents more weight than
> older once?

I guess you could achieve the same effect by having a custom indexing
configuration file [1] that you modify once per day or per week to
increase the boost for specific node types.

However, it seems counterintuitive to have to keep increasing the
boost either with configuration changes or with a boost function like
the one you proposed.

As already suggested by Alex, I'd rather use sorting for this. To
allow the full text match score to affect the sort order you could use
just the year, month or week number as the first sort term and let the
matches within that time period be sorted according to the match
score.

Solr has a more complex mechanism for such date-based scoring (see
[2]), but making something like that work with Jackrabbit probably
needs quite a bit of work on the search index layer.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/IndexingConfiguration
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ#How_can_I_boost_the_score_of_newer_documents

BR,

Jukka Zitting