jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "Jsop" by stefan
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:46:20 GMT

> spi2dav, for which this has been invented for, simply does a COPY
> operation. Note this is a workspace operation not needed in batch
> operations.
>
>>> If we think this is needed we should bring it up within the IETF so JSON
>>> Patch gets this, too.
>>
>> sure, please go ahead.
>
> A-hem, no, I won't, because I don't think it's a good idea.
>
>>> Or have we given up on that?
>>
>> why would that be the case?
>
> I keep seeing additions to the format which are not motivated by the
> original use case, and have not been proposed outside this small group.

While I can see the need for these additions for the jr3 Microkernel as
it is currently designed, I also fear that we end up with yet another
variant of 'JSOP'. I don't like this personally but I also do not
understand what our goals and priorities are here: If we do care about
compatibility (i.e. Sling JSOP, DavEx JSOP, IETF JSON Diff) we shouldn't
introduce ad-hoc changes before having evaluated their impacts. If we
don't care we should probably refrain from calling this JSOP.

Michael