jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "Jsop" by ThomasMueller
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 11:09:27 GMT
On 2011-12-09 11:32, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Not sure this is a good idea, as long as we pretend that this format has
>> something to do with JSON. The main purpose of JSON is that the objects
>> can be instantiated again in JavaScript, at which point the ordering
>> becomes undefined.
>
> If one possible *client* isn't interested in the order, then that's not a
> problem. The problem is that the *server* should keep the order, so that

The problem here is that we pretend that part of the syntax use JSON,
which implies you can use off-the-shelve JSON code to produce or consume
these parts. But you can't if you pretend that JSON object members have
an ordering.

> clients that are interested in the order can work. Otherwise "move" with
> "before" / "after" isn't that meaningful.

For now, JSON Patch allows moving *to* locations that can be identified
by JSON Pointers, so within the hierarchy and within arrays, but that
doesn't affect the ordering of non-array members.

> What about making it an optional feature ("may")? It still possible for a
> client to define the order using many "move" calls, but it's a bit strange
> I have admit:
>
> + "/test": {"a": {}, "b": {}, "c": {}}
>> "/test/b": { "after": "/test/a" }
>> "/test/c": { "after": "/test/b" }
>

> This will ensure the order is "a", "b", "c".

-1, if this is supposed to be a generic format for use outside
Jackrabbit. But I'm starting to believe it's not.

To make it a generic format, it needs to make sense in terms of mapping
a JCR hierarchy to JSON, and operations *applied* to JSON.

*If* we want to support ordered collections, than the JSON mapping
should contain additional information on the sort order of the members.
Like this:

{"a": {}, "b": {}, "c": {}, "{somejcrrelateduri}sortorder": [ "a", "b",
"c" ] }

Best regards, Julian