jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jr3 microkernel] Write skew
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:02:31 GMT

On 1.12.11 14:25, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> A third and most general solution which puts away with write skew for good
>> is described in [3]. This requires examining the commit log for certain
>> read-write conflicts on save.
>
> If I understand the paper correctly, also this approach requires
> synchronization to establish the serialization order of transactions.

No I don't think so. What it does is, it cancels problematic
transactions. Detecting these requires finding certain read-write
conflicts between transactions. In a way this resembles serialization
graph testing. Under snapshot isolation this seems to become easier than
in the general case due to some 'nice' properties of the serialization
graphs involved here. See the remarks about 'vulnerable edges' and
'dangerous structures' in section 2.2 of the paper.

Michael