jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 microkernel] Write skew
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:57:56 GMT
On 30.11.11 14:27, "Felix Meschberger" <fmeschbe@adobe.com<mailto:fmeschbe@adobe.com>>
wrote:
Am 30.11.2011 um 14:20 schrieb Michael Dürig:
That's a different story for a different thread ;-) In a nutshell: under
snapshot isolation sessions will see ADD events for items which do not
exist for them. OTHO when they get an DELETE event the item will still
exist for them. Note how this is reverse from the situation in JR2.

Hmm, this will probably effectively break many if not most current ObservationListener implementations.
Good to know.

I expect there is a lot of code outside that relies on the copy-on-write nature of JR 2 -
i.e. that anything the session did not touch yet is always "live". Introducing snapshot isolation
(which would be copy-on-read IIUC) would break those cases (but usually these errors will
depend on concurrency, thus hard to spot).

Now looking at the specs, I am confused: in JCR 1.0 it was up to the implementation to be
using copy-on-read or copy-on-write [0]. In JCR 2.0 that text was replaced by [1] (IIUC, didn't
find anything else) which seems to be defining copy-on-write as the standard behavior now:

"A change that is persisted is visible to all other sessions bound to the same persistent
workspace that have sufficient read permission."

That would mean that JR 3 cannot do snapshot isolation! But I might be missing something...

[0] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/7.1.3.4_Seeing_Changes_Made_by_Other_Sessions.html
[1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/2.0/10_Writing.html#10.1.4%20Visibility%20of%20Changes

Cheers,
Alex