jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <jresc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: JSOP
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:32:21 GMT
On 30.11.2011 13:19, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I agree that this might be useful, but a simpler approach is to use
>> HTTP's If-Match header. Of course that requires having a sane strategy
>> to compute ETags.
>
> You are mixing the binding (HTTP) with the format (JSOP).
>
> You can't assume HTTP is used.

Well, it depends where we're coming from.

If the task is "define a patch format for use over HTTP Patch", then
yes, we can assume HTTP is there.

We still suffer from an agreed-upon set of design goals and constraints.

If we want to *standardize* something, we need to abstract away things
specific to JCR. Also, we need either to get the features we need into
the common formats (such as support for tagging batches or adding
tests), *or* need to make sure extension points are in place.

It would also be useful to understand why we apparently have three
different implementations (two in Jackrabbit, one in Sling?), and what
we need to do make the compatible. We probably can't make them a single
implementation, but the fact that we have multiple "similar" diff
formats and implementations gives me headaches.

Best regards, Julian