jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSOP
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:08:02 GMT

>>> Set currently is:
>>>
>>> SET ::= "^" STRING ":" ATOM | ARRAY
>>>
>>> which seems to be the subset needed for setting JCR property values.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't we be able to overwrite nodes as well?
>>>
>>> Best regards, Julian
>>
>> This is as intended: it is modeled after the JCR API: set is for setting
>> property values and add is for adding properties and nodes. Add should
>> fail if a property or node exists already.
>
> Yes. But just because the JCR API doesn't have "set" for nodes doesn't
> mean it's not a useful operation; and if we want to define a data format
> that is not specific to JCR remoting then the restriction doesn't seem
> to make sense.

Yes agreed. Just note that the format described on the Wiki page started
out as "JSOP Diff for the Jackrabbit Microkernel". That's why some
things might not be as general as they could.

> Internally, SET can always be implemented as atomic variant of
> REMOVE-then-ADD.

In general yes. However for the Jackrabbit Microkernel use case this
becomes troublesome wrt. observation.

Michael