jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Anonymous user
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:03:37 GMT
hi markus  (and including jackrabbit-dev as this doesn't really belong
to the sling list)

>>> I just try to connect with the standard command line utility via davex
>>> to the repository.
>>>
>>> java -jar jackrabbit-standalone-2.3.1-SNAPSHOT.jar --cli
>>> http://localhost:8080/server
>>>
>>> With the enabled anonymous user everything is fine and I can
>>> logout/login with admin.
>>> With the anonymous user disabled I still can login but I can not do
>>> any writes as the davex layer couldn't properly detect the
>>> capabilities of the repository.
>>
>> IIUC this is because although there was a change in Jackrabbit
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3076) to handle the case
>> when the repository descriptors weren't available, it handles only 401
>> or 407 error codes. I haven't checked Felix's most recent changes, but
>> last I checked, it resulted in a 403 error code.
>
> Prior to JCR-3076 it was not even possible to connect to a repository
> if it was protected by the sling authenticator (e.g. by a custom login
> page).
> The patch solves the "detection" of the repository.
>
> The problem with the descriptors is mentioned by Jukka:
> "A more complete fix would also modify the webdav server to always
> allow repository descriptor report requests without authentication,
> but that would require non-trivial changes to the way requests are
> currently being processed in the webdav server. Doing that would allow
> clients to access repository descriptors even if repository access
> otherwise is blocked only to authenticated clients. Let's handle that
> as a possible followup issue."

if i am not mistaken we could fix that rather easily on the
client (jcr2spi) side. currently SessionImpl#isSupportedOption
assumes that the descriptors have been successfully loaded.

i would suggest that we change that code such that it only evaluates
the descriptor if the descriptor if present and otherwise returns true.
in the latter case the fact that a given SPI implementation does not
support a given feature will only be detected upon passing the
call for processing to the SPI. this is pretty straight forward for
all the workspace operations and maybe a bit inconvenient for
Session#save. but most probably that would solve your problem.

what do you think?
angela

by the Sling Authenticator. But we cannot prevent someone coming with the anonymous credentials
from logging in. This has to be configured in the repository IIUIC.