jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About FileDataStore mod-time update
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:08:24 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Please note the data store can be shared by multiple *processes* (multiple
> distinct repositories and multiple cluster nodes).

I think we should drop support for multiple distinct repositories
using the same data store. For multiple cluster nodes we should be
able to come up with a mechanism by which the nodes can coordinate on
the garbage collection task.

> Keeping a separate log is problematic, as accessing the separate log would
> need to be synchronized somehow. Keeping the list in memory is even more
> problematic (not to mention memory usage).

Yep, it's obviously a tradeoff. The upside would be that with
something like that we'd be able to avoid the troublesome need to
update the last access timestamp whenever a record is accessed.
Ideally the datastore would only be written to when a new record is
added or when the garbage collector decides to remove an unused
record.

BR,

Jukka Zitting