jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Paco Avila <pav...@openkm.com>
Subject Re: About FileDataStore mod-time update
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:56:56 GMT
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > This means that every time a file is accessed is like has been modified
> and this is not true.
>
> When garbage collection is running, yes.

I don't understand why the file mod-time need to be updated when
DataStoreGarbageCollector is running. What is the sense of this?

> > incremental backups does not make sense
>
> If incremental backup only checks the last modified time, then it's a
> problem, I agree. However I'm afraid I don't know a better way to solve the
> problem (mark the file as still being used). Suggestions are always welcome
> of course.
>
> Is it possible that the incremental backup checks the file creation time
> instead of the last modification time?

Well, the modification time check has the meaning of when the file was
modified (of course) and the backup application need to know if a file has
been modified, because the file creation time should no be modified during
the existence of the file.

rsync, for example can be configured to avoid the mod-time comparison and
use a checksum-based comparison algorithm. But not all the backup
application are so configurable :(

--
OpenKM
http://www.openkm.com