jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PersistenceManager cache
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:13:52 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Alex Parvulescu
<alex.parvulescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to know why the PersistenceManager, who uses a ConcurrentCache
> instance, does not use the CacheManager to manage it.
> I ran into this page [0]  but it is still not clear to me how big the scope
> of the CacheManager is supposed to be.
> Why doesn't the PM fall into the 'managed cache' category?

The CacheManager was originally created to deal with the problem of
distributing memory across a variable number of item state caches as
they would get created and dropped with each session (see JCR-619 for
background).

The bundle cache is a more recent addition, and since there's only one
bundle cache per persistence manager there's not much need to
dynamically manage the cache size.

I'd rather see us dropping the item state caches and the cache manager
entirely than extending the scope to also cover the bundle cache.

BR,

Jukka Zitting