jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Latest Jackrabbit performance test results
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 09:51:19 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Results from a performance test run from last night:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/report-2011-08-25/report.html

Here's an updated report:

http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/report-2011-09-01/report.html

> * The BigFileReadTest results are pretty fascinating. It looks like
> the set of ten 100MB test files fits into the OS buffer cache (the
> test computer has 4GB RAM) and unlike in previous Jackrabbit versions
> we can now for some reason avoid invalidating that cache.

That was indeed the case. I increased the test set from ten to a
hundred 100MB files, which prevented all of them from fitting into
memory at a time, and now there's much less variance in performance.

Note that there was a massive performance problem in writing large
files in the default configuration of all of Jackrabbit 1.4, 1.5 and
1.6. I had to disable the big file tests on those versions as
otherwise writing the 10GB of test data would have taken way too long
to be practical.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3064

> * Massive performance improvements for SetProperty and
> UpdateManyChildNodes tests. I'm not sure which of the recent changes
> is giving this performance boost.

The performance boost can not be seen in the latest results anymore,
so it might have been just a fluke.

BR,

Jukka Zitting