jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update on j3
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:27:38 GMT

Hi,

>> The level of activity on the j3 sandbox has been pretty nice in the
>> past few weeks. Would someone working on the code care to give a short
>> update on the latest developments? The commit messages have been
>> rather terse for now...
>
> the goal is to have a working spi-based stack with the microkernel underneath
> (jcr2spi->spi2mk). such a stack would serve us as a POC for the technical
> viability of a MVCC-based microkernel approach. furthermore it would allow
> to benchmark the mk-based stack against jackrabbit-core and jcr2spi->spi2jcr.

To get an idea on how far this has been progressed, have a look at the
pom [1]. I just enabled the TCK test suite for the default build. The
pom lists the known issues and their reasons. All known issues which
have a fixme tag in the comment should be fixed. The other ones are
currently 'as designed' i.e. limitations which we deem acceptable for
the prototype at its current state.

> one thing we've learned so far is that the spi abstraction layer probably needs
> to be largely re-written/re-designed in order to fully take advantage of a
> MVCC-based microkernel.

That's why I branched jcr2spi, spi and spi-commons. The idea is to
evolve these into the new architecture where possible and rewrite where
necessary. There has no real work been done in this area. My large
commit [2] from today was just syntactical cleanup.

Michael

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jackrabbit/sandbox/jackrabbit-mk/jackrabbit-spi2microkernel/pom.xml?view=markup
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1164026