jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [j3] Repository MicroKernel API draft
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:24:43 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> This is similar to 'why do you build your own SQL-2 parser and don't use
> Lex/Flex/Yacc/Javacc/ANTLR/other parser tool', or 'why do you build your
> own cache and don't use Ehcache/other cache libary', or 'why do you build
> your own (connection) pooling'. There are multiple reasons:

Sure. I'm just questioning whether the benefits of a custom
implementation really are worth the time spent reinventing the wheel
and fixing all the inevitable bugs. Anyway, this is more of an
implementation detail, so I don't really care that much how it's
really done.

My bigger concern here is that the JSON handling seems to be happening
at a way too low level. For example, we now have both MicroKernelImpl
classes in o.a.j.mk and o.a.j.mk.mem duplicating pretty much the same
parsing and serialization logic. Can we refactor that code into a
single class/location?

BR,

Jukka Zitting