jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [j3] Repository MicroKernel API draft
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:43:15 GMT

> agreed. since the audience of the MicroKernel API is pretty small
> programmer-friendliness has admittedly not been a top priority ;)

I think programmer-friendliness should have a higher priority then.
Where did this priorities come from btw?

Programmer unfriendly api's lead to programmers designing ad-hoc
convenience wrappers which lead to fragmentation and broken windows.
This is already now apparent from the jr3 prototype code base! Which is
pretty alarming to me.

> OTOH portability, remotability, stateless nature and compactness
> have been. having those goals in mind, JSON is IMO a perfect fit.
Again, where did these goals come from? What are the rationals?

While I think having a stateless api is a good think, I think we should
not let this preclude other features and functionality. For example
having the commit method to contain all the transient changes in a
single json string will limit the size of transient modifications.

We could as well allow transient changes to be written to the micro
kernel and then committed later on:

changes.add(mk.writeTransient("+/foo/bar, {}"))
changes.add(mk.writeTransient("+/foo2/bar2, {}"))
mk.commit(changes)

IMO this is as stateless as the other approach.

Michael