jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Dolan, Kelly" <kdo...@inmedius.com>
Subject is doc addition / indexing synchronous or asynchronous?
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 20:02:32 GMT
(re-posting since it didn't seem like my original email was sent out, my
apologies if I'm mistaken)

i found a thread from Apr 2006
(http://jackrabbit.510166.n4.nabble.com/Is-doc-addition-indexing-synchro
nous-or-asynchronous-td528243.html).

i find myself in a similar situation - for me, i'm adding lots of
documents to the repository at once, its taking a great deal of time,
the majority of that time is spent indexing and therefore i need to
change my configuration or extend SearchIndex such that indexing occurs
asynchronously ... i really do not have a choice.

i followed most of the thread conversation but not sure if i totally
understand everything.

(1) the thread mentions the observation events are synchronous.  it is
possible to change this to be asynchronous?

(2) marcel brought up two issues with (1)

    (a) a search may not "hit" a document just added; there would be a
delay

    (b) if the jvm crashed, documents not indexed yet could not be and
this cannot be recovered

i can live with (a) but not (b). the thread continued on re: (b) wrt
persisting what needs indexed.  that is where i started to get lost.
while (b) was mentioned, it seemed like jackrabbit handles it with a
redo.log.

in any case, i need to make indexing asynchronous.  i had started down
the path of extending SearchIndex and overridding the updateNodes()
method but now i'm wondering if there is just a way i can configure
jackrabbit to make indexing asynchronous or if there are still serious
issues i have not considered. Or is extending SearchIndex and
overridding the updateNodes() method what I should do?

i'm currently integrated with jackrabbit 1.6.  i'm not sure if i can
upgrade to the latest version at this time but if a later version buys
me something, please let me know.

kelly