jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jzitt...@adobe.com>
Subject Ditching Confluence
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 17:43:15 GMT
Hi,

A few years ago we switched [1,2] to Confluence for managing the
Jackrabbit web site. While in some ways better than the Maven site we
had before, it's still quite cumbersome, brittle and slow as discussed
already earlier [3]. And I hear that the ASF infra team is planning to
phase out Confluence entirely at some point in the future.

The most notable problem is that it takes hours for changes to be
propagated to the public web site. This makes it difficult to use the
web site as a collection of answers to mailing list questions. When
answering to a question, I'd like to update the relevant documentation
and then reply with a pointer to the updated section. Thomas has been
doing this pretty succesfully with the Jackrabbit Wiki, and I'd like to
enable a similar workflow also on the main web site.

So far the ASF hasn't had very good tools to support this, but the
recently created new CMS [4] seems to do most of what we need and I've
been hearing good things about it from other projects. There's even a
rough script to help migration away from Confluence, which should
reduce the amount of manual work such a switch would require.

Thus, unless someone is very attached to Confluence, I'd like to start
preparing for a migration to the Apache CMS.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ff5rpy2wuj62rmxt
[2] http://markmail.org/message/kbudkutoxz3j5nal
[3] http://markmail.org/message/rzkty2fl5u75i3vp
[4] http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html