jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] One Project
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:40:38 GMT
On 01.12.10 11:30, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:

>Just my 2cents from the peanut gallery: OSGi and modularity are not
>synonyms. You can have one without the other, in both ways.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had a reason to just say "easier to
plugin" than mention hot-pluggable or OSGi.

Also I agree that there is a difference between the persistence and other
likely pluggable mechanisms, such as search index or login modules. AFAIK
we agreed that more configuration should go into the repository to clean
up the various configuration files spread across the jackrabbit home
directory. Of course, for the persistence this won't work and will require
a restart of the whole repository anyway. For search index changes this
could be more dynamic, I think.

So changing some internal module requires:
(1) drop in one or more jars (or bundles) into some place
(2) update to the configuration

Possible places for both are file system classpath, OSGi framework or
repository, but for the persistence layer only the first two will work.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek