jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jr3] One Project
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:10:57 GMT
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Guggisberg
>>>
>>> so you can have multiple versions of the same jar/bundle concurrently
>>> deployed in the same osgi container?
>>
>> Yes, either by embedding problematic jars in others and hiding them as
>> private packages, or by setting the right version numbers in the OSGi
>> manifests, so that bundles get wired to the right libraries.
>>
>> That's in theory, you know how practice goes ;-)
>
> i take that as "in practice, OSGi *doesn't* solves that problem nicely" ;-)

I should have been clearer, I suggested two ways of solving the
problem of conflictings jars with OSGi:

a) embed them in bundles as private packages
b) use OSGi version numbers to get the proper wiring

Both are fully supported by OSGi, and by Apache Felix AFAIK.

As for myself, I have not tried b) yet, so I cannot confirm that this
works in practice, or how well.

I have used a) however, and that works fine and is easy to implement.

Just to be clear ;-)
-Bertrand