jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Rethinking our Jackrabbit 3.0 roadmap
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:11:48 GMT
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Jukka Zitting <jzitting@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 02/12/10 09:56, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>
>> There are multiple ways to reach our goals:
>>
>> a) refactor in very small steps
>> b) replace piece by piece
>> c) replace all code we have in one huge step
>>
>> As far as I understand, you are afraid that c) would take too long?
>
> Yes. Not necessarily too long in the sense that we shouldn't do it, just too long to
stop making incremental and sometimes backward-incompatible progress in the stable branch.

>> I would probably try to do b).
>
> I'd like that, but as you say there may be issues with that. Going this route it would
be even more important to allow major version upgrades like 3.0 and 4.0 before we're fully
done implementing the next-gen architecture.

I'd also opt for (b) as this seems to me to have the best chance of
success and acceptance

Regards Ard