jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <jus...@justinedelson.com>
Subject Re: backwards-incompatible change in AccessManager
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:36:10 GMT

On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Jukka Zitting <jzitting@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/12/10 15:03, Justin Edelson wrote:
>> Was this change intentional? If so, is there any guidance on how to
>> retain some level of backwards compatibility?
>
> As a general rule we only guarantee JCR and jackrabbit-api compatibility across major
and minor releases.

FWIW, this was in micro release, which is why I thought it was worth asking about.

> We try to keep also internal jackrabbit-core interfaces like PersistenceManager and AccessManager
fairly stable, but every now and then we need to change those to achieve various benefits.
It's expected that people who customize such internal components keep track of the developments
within jackrabbit-core and are ready to adapt their code as needed or to suggest (and implement)
alternatives that don't require changing the interfaces.

I'm happy to adapt Sling to accommodate this change. I was just asking for suggestions on
how to handle cases where the behavior of the single-argument method was already defined.

Justin