jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] One Project
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:21:35 GMT
Hi,

>Those cases should probably be fixed.

OK, for those who say they should be fixed, please go ahead and do it. It
would be really good if it's fixed. My point is: I think it's not yet
fixed because it's complicated. And it's complexity that has no visible
advantage (not for the end user, and not for the developer). And it has
many disadvantages. For example, it slows down development.

> But I don't think there are too many
>projects inside Jackrabbit.

So a single class project / jar file is desirable?

>Compare it to Apache Sling

I don't know Sling very well, but I don't think you can compare Jackrabbit
with Sling. I believe more appropriate are Apache Lucene, Apache Derby,
HSQLDB, and H2. Those are all "single project" projects AFAIK.

>OSGi helps there.

I don't think we can force users of Jackrabbit to use OSGi.

>Forcing ... separation ... due to separate modules helps

There are better ways to write clean code than to split things into many
tiny projects. Specially, if 95% of all users don't care about the split.

>It might be good to let Jackrabbit 3
>concentrate on the internal persistence architecture and not on
>web-interfaces or remoting.

+1

Regards,
Thomas