jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] One Project
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:48:03 GMT
On 30.11.10 11:42, "Thomas Mueller" <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
>* I've never found the build modularity to be a problem as a developer
>(I've made a few Jackrabbit patches).
>
>That's good to know. My experience (as a Jackrabbit committer) is
>different. You may not have worked on things like the SQL-2 parser (where
>the test cases are in a different project than the source code!). Yes,
>probably it would be possible to merge them back together (as it
>originally was).

Those cases should probably be fixed. But I don't think there are too many
projects inside Jackrabbit. Compare it to Apache Sling, for example, which
has much more projects. And because of that requires more effort on the
provide-a-default-standalone webserver installation, but in most cases you
need to work on that anyway, and OSGi helps there.

>* I think there is a lot of value in keeping the build modular because it
>keeps the code clean and interdependencies at a minimum. Jackrabbit code
>is very clean and well laid out, making it easy to hack.
>
>Do you equate a huge number of project with "clean"?? I equate it with
>dirty. What do you mean with "keep the build modular"? Using multiple
>projects doesn't magically reduce the dependencies. In my view, the
>Jackrabbit code is quite unclean actually, for example there are few
>tests, and things are unnecessarily complex. But that's just my view.

I think with "clean" he means that people don't mix up API classes, common
utilities and implementation specific code, with cyclic dependencies etc.
Forcing some separation of those due to separate modules helps a lot.

>As for WebDAV, I would probably keep it separate
> (not implement it in Jackrabbit 3 at the beginning)

A little bit OT: If you also use Apache Sling, it comes with its own
WebDAV (view and partially different implementation), so there is always a
bit of redundancy in the combination. It might be good to let Jackrabbit 3
concentrate on the internal persistence architecture and not on
web-interfaces or remoting.

Regards,
Alex

--