jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] One Project
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:13:53 GMT
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Alexander Klimetschek
<aklimets@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 30.11.10 15:58, "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
>>I am of course completely ok with this. I just don't like the idea
>>that the remoting would be moved to Sling, where Jackrabbit users are
>>forced to use Sling as well. So, apart from better remoting, which of
>>course I cannot be against, my -1 was primarily meant for moving the
>>remoting layer away from Jackrabbit into Sling.
>
> I didn't directly propose to "move" the remoting to Sling. That was meant
> more for discussion instead of voting ;-).
>
> The idea was, that if you use a web app framework, it probably comes with
> its own remoting (in many cases app-specific, restful interfaces). Which
> highlights the point that Jackrabbit should concentrate on the JCR
> implementation, not on JCR applications - with a WebDAV layer being such
> an app as well.
>
> So for modularization this gives a clear cut point. JCR implementation
> stuff (core) and JCR apps and libraries using the api (webdav, utilities
> in commons, etc.) should never get into one single, big module.

Thanks for clarifying Alex! I agree with the modularization part and
that these parts shouldn't be part of one big module. Although I do
think they should be and stay part of the Jackrabbit umbrella.

Regards Ard

--
Hippo
USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100