jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit performance in multi threaded environment
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:03:57 GMT
Hi,
Try upgrading to 2.1.2
There was a lot of work done to remove synchronization, however IIRC, reads that need to load
items that are not in the shared cache block other reads that need to do the same, and writes
block all reads of that form.  (see the non exclusive read locks/ and write locks in the SharedItemManager)

Also, depending on what you ACLs do (if you have any denies) you might find that there is
a system session underlying the standard AccessControlManager that is shared by all sessions,
and blocks all other sessions..... although this might have been one of the things removed
in 2.1.2.

I have found node creation that also creates version history to be particularly expensive
in a multithreaded environment, leading to creating version histories (adding mix:versionable)
only when the first version is saved.

As I say, most of my observations are for 2.1.1 and may have been fixed in 2.1.2.
Ian