jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit performance data
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:54:20 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> First of all, thanks a lot for this Jukka. I really like it. Would you
> have an idea how we could measure performance for larger repositories.
> For example, I would be glad to add some query performance tests, but,
> obviously, querying can be very sensitive to the number of nodes. I
> would be interested in the performance of some queries (of xpath, sql
> and qom) against different repository version, but then specifically
> queries against large repositories. I understand if it is not feasible
> because the tests would take to long. WDYT?

The size of the test repository shouldn't be too much of a problem, as
long as the setup/teardown code doesn't take hours to complete. A few
minutes per test is still quite OK; you can create quite a bit of test
content in that time. The test suite currently doesn't allow multiple
different tests to share test content, but that should be easy to
solve by introducing a concept of test groups with their own
setup/teardown phases.

A more essential consideration is the time it takes to execute a
single test query. Currently the test suite is configured to spend 50
seconds iterating over a single performance tests, so to get good
statistics an individual test shouldn't take much longer than a few
seconds. We can increase the execution time, but I think a few seconds
should in any case be the upper limit for most interesting search use
cases.

See the simple search test case I added in revision 983662. It would
be great if you'd be interested in adding more complex search
benchmarks.

BR,

Jukka Zitting