jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Improving the reregistering of node types
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:25:13 GMT
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 15:57, Charles Brooking
<public+jackrabbit@charlie.brooking.id.au> wrote:
> That was just my use case, but it's interesting to hear of other people
> interested in node types.

In my experience you try to avoid node type changes after a product
has gone "live" and lots of content using those node types is present.
Hence you only change node types during development, where starting
with fresh content is usually no issue.

And you only make node types for those things where you are sure they
are more or less fixed. For other things you keep going with
nt:unstructured. The same way that mandatory properties change in your
case, you will have the opposite, ie. that things that were mandatory
become unnecessary, so generally a more relaxed approach is good for
the long-term. That adds some more complexity to the application logic
accessing the content (ie. it no longer expects total integrity hold
by the underlying storage), but this also makes it more resilient.

See also this paper for some more discussion around data integrity in
the storage or application layer:
http://dev.day.com/content/ddc/blog/2009/01/jcrrdbmsreport.html

Regards,
Alex