jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael D Robinson <mdrob...@thoughtworks.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Jackrabbit 3 in trunk
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 20:29:01 GMT
Hi, Thomas,

What I mean is that, if I understand correctly, one of the objectives of the
jr3 project is to deliver better performance than jr2 on scalability,
concurrency, latency, etc., it would be helpful to have an automated stress
test framework to demonstrate progress against these objectives earlier in
the project, rather than later.

It's easier to fix deep architectural issues before a bunch of code has been
written around the architecture, so the priority should be to have code that
breaks the architecture (highlighting the weak points) before having code
that uses the architecture (highlighting the strong points).

Once performance levels have been established that everyone is happy with,
the automated stress test framework then provides a check against
regressions from these levels as the full and richer feature set is built
out.

          -Michael Robinson