jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alberto Bacchelli <alberto.bacche...@usi.ch>
Subject Re: Contribution for research
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 15:51:09 GMT
Hi Stefan

On 5/26/10 5:29 PM, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> hi alberto,
[...]
> while i really appreciate your academic interest in jackrabbit
> i don't agree with your assumption. a contributor typically
> focuses on a specific part of the code base (e.g. when
> (s)he encounters an issue or a missing feature). there's no
> need to have a in-depth knowledge of the entire code base.

Thank you for your feedback, that spots out an interesting topic.

I completely agree with you that, in a well-modularized system,
there is no need for the new developer to learn the details
about the system's core: she can just focus on her module/part.
For example, one that works on the internationalization (i18n) probably
doesn't need to know things about GUI implementation.
And probably one would like to start with simple tasks :)

However, even with simple tasks, or with well-defined modules,
there will be hotspots that should be known by the new developer.
What's the most important class I should deal with, when
working on internationalization?

And, unfortunately, not all the systems are so well-modularized.
So, our idea is to generalize the problem and tackle it
from the point of view of a new developer that is willing to
work on the system's core. This is a generalization that could
help to find possible solutions about hotspots in smaller modules.