jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject [jr3] Micro-kernel vs. new persistence
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:09:33 GMT
Hi all,

the jr3 discussions are currently both about a better persistence
interface (micro-kernel) that is generic enough for different
persistence implementations and on the other hand we are talking about
features for a new "default" high-performance (excuse me for that
term) persistence implementation (eg. what indexes to use, transaction
log, etc.).

I think these tend to conflict with each other, since concentrating on
a single optimized persistence impl might make the micro-kernel not
generic enough. A good abstraction can mostly only be found if you
actually have all use cases at hand. Vice-versa, concentrating on a
generic (and/or simple) micro-kernel interface might block certain
optimizations in the underlying implementation (see the current
persistence manager).

But do we have other persistence ideas? And if we have them, isn't
that too much effort at once? Or do we have enough experience already
to "hit the nail" with the new micro-kernel interface? Where are our
priorities?

Regards,
Alex

PS: sorry for that ;-)