jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Delayed Repository Initialization
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:46:11 GMT
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:50, Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> String factoryClass = "...";
> String url = "...?user=sa&password=xyz";
> RepositoryFactory factory = (RepositoryFactory)
> Class.forName(factoryClass).newInstance();
> Map<String, String> parameters = new HashMap<String, String>();
> parameters.put("url", url);
> Repository rep = factory.getRepository(parameters);
>
> In this case the user name and password are included in the repository
> URL. This solution is almost what we have how (except there is no
> repository.xml).
>
> What I propose is: Jackrabbit should support the following use case as well:
>
> String factoryClass = "...";
> String url = "...";
> RepositoryFactory factory = (RepositoryFactory)
> Class.forName(factoryClass).newInstance();
> Map<String, String> parameters = new HashMap<String, String>();
> parameters.put("url", url);
> Repository rep = factory.getRepository(parameters);
> Session session = rep.login(new SimpleCredentials("sa", "xyz".toCharArray()));
>
> Here, the user name and password of the storage backend (for example a
> relational database) are not included in the repository URL. Instead,
> they are supplied in the first session that logs into the repository.
> Currently this use case is not supported. I suggest that Jackrabbit 3
> support this as a possible use case (not necessarily as the default
> use case).

Couldn't this be done by a special wrapping Repository implementation?
Supposing the configuration of the "actual" RepositoryImpl is
dynamically configurable w/o repository.xml, as it is planned.

I think the use case for short configs via URL (like
"...?user=sa&password=xyz" above) is valid and it's a good idea to
support that. For performance reasons in a production instance it
probably doesn't make a big difference, since there will typically be
at least one (admin) session immediately logging in once the
repository is up.

Regards,
Alex

--