jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] MicroKernel prototype
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:19:02 GMT
Hi,

> premature optimization

Sure, premature optimization should be avoided. But sometimes you need
to validate that a certain architecture / algorithm doesn't result in
very slow or unmaintainable code. I mean, that's the reason to write a
prototype: so you can actually test it.

> clean and easy to understand architecture

Yes, make it as easy as possible. For example, I didn't implement a
CachingHierarchyManager. I was a bit afraid it will be a problem, but
it looks like it's not. That's good.

> loose weight

You probably mean "speed up". Yes, it's almost always possible to
improve performance a bit by tweaking the implementation. But it's
usually very hard to "remove code" after it has been added and used.

> the prototype currently probably misses tasks that Jackrabbit currently does

Sure. But I don't know any that would account for big performance or
architectural problems. Shareable nodes was one such case (without
shareable nodes the prototype wouldn't need NodeState).

> data validation against the node types

Nobody uses node types. Just joking. The test case doesn't use node
types so I don't think this is the reason why the prototype is so much
faster. But there might be other things I forgot.

Regards,
Thomas