jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Delayed Repository Initialization
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:42:24 GMT
Hi,

Currently Jackrabbit doesn't support relayed initialization. Unless I
misunderstood Felix, he would also like to get rid of this
restriction.

Just to clarify: my suggestion is *not* about requiring the repository
is initialized when the first session is opened. It's also *not* about
requiring that the JCR credentials are used to login to the backend
storage (in most cases that's not a good idea). This idea is about
*allowing* delayed repository initialization. The examples I gave are
just for illustration and show *one* possible use case.

> Couldn't this be done by a special wrapping Repository implementation?

That's problematic. Such a wrapper would have quite some overhead. The
JCR API is not easily "wrapable" if you want to do it correctly: you
would have to wrap almost every JCR interface and method, including
Node and Property. That would be a relatively large memory overhead.
You could use the Java proxy mechanism, but that is relatively slow
(uses reflection).

Regards,
Thomas