jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UserManager API strangeness
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:41:23 GMT
Hi,

On 11.03.2010 12:14, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi
>
>> What strikes me is, that to actually persist changes made by the
>> UserManager, the Session.save() method must be called. IMHO for a proper
>> level of alignment, the UserManager should probably be extended with
>> save() and rollback() methods.
>
> i don't think this is required.
>
> JSR 283 defines other managers that need their changes persisted
> using Session.save() (e.g. AccessControlManager and RetentionManager),
> which are both obtained from the Session similar to the UserManager.
> (in contrast to those managers that are obtained from Workspace
>  that do NOT require a session.save).

While I might not agree that they don't have a save method (it just
sounds strange, that you have a manager where you apply changes and then
have to revert back to the session to persist), I agree that for
consistency, it thus makes sense the UserManager does not have a save
method.

> the real problem is that we originally had a UserManager
> that stored the changes in a separate workspace in which case
> there is no way to persist the changes with a call to save()
> on the session you obtained the user manager from. and for
> backwards-compatibility i didn't want to drop that old
> user manager... that's about it and the only reason for
> adding the autosave functionality....

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards
Felix