jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Foltzer <acfolt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Plugin architecture
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 01:59:58 GMT
Hi Jukka,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:

> * dynamic configuration: The current XML-based configuration mechanism
> needs to be updated whenever new extension points are introduced and
> makes it difficult to support dynamic plugin environments like OSGi or
> IoC containers.

A big +1 to this. Being able to configure a repository through API calls
alone (OSGi or otherwise) would be a big win for anyone integrating
Jackrabbit into cloud-hosted environments where full control over the
deployment environment is rarely guaranteed. Also, it'd be a natural fit for
JVM-hosted dynamic languages.

> * higher level extension points: Most of our extension points are
> currently deep down at the bottom of the Jackrabbit architecture
> (PersistenceManager, Journal, FileSystem, SearchIndex, etc.). It would
> be useful to offer also higher level constructs like Repository and
> Session lifecycle listeners or transaction boundary checkers to be
> injected into the system.

Extensibility of the importXML and exportDocumentView methods come to mind.
Customizing whitespace treatment, comment handling, and removing the jcr
namespace are all things I've hacked on in my app. They may not be idiomatic
JCR, but it'd be nice to be able to have an extension point here for
non-idiomatic needs.

Cheers,
Adam Foltzer