jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:31:20 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <b.vanderschans@onehippo.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Agreed. Ideally (not sure if that's feasible) we'd push all caching
>>> down below the unified persistence layer.
>>
>> If the persistence architecture will be plugable like now you'll never
>> have any garantees that the persistence layer will cache anything and
>> even read operations can become quite expensive or slow. In that case,
>> caching just "above" the persistence layer like we do now with the
>> BundleCache would make a lot of sense.
>
> BundleCache is not above, it's part of the persistence layer.
Ah yes of course ;-)

> btw, the persistence architecture should IMO not be plugable in the
> common sense, i.e. an operator shouldn't be able to switch them.
>
> the persistence managers in the current architecture aren't plugable
> either, for a good reason.
I agree.

We should probably postpone the "caching discussions" until the dust
has settled over the unified persistence thread.

Regards,
Bart

--
Hippo B.V.  -  Amsterdam
Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT, Amsterdam, +31(0)20-5224466

Hippo USA Inc.  -  San Francisco
101 H Street, Suite Q, Petaluma CA, 94952-3329, +1 (707) 773-4646
http://www.onehippo.com   -  info@onehippo.com